Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Respectful Forum

We often hear general authorities suggesting that we use social media as a means for sharing the gospel. I have two options for reaching out to my friends (based on what services they use): Facebook or a blog. I had a blog that I updated regularly before my mission. Many of my friends, and a few random people, were faithful readers. But the internet has changed in the 5 years since I stopped blogging; I don't think I could get the same audience I had before. I am left with Facebook, but that is treacherous ground. When people want to participate in a respectful and meaningful exchange of ideas, they don't turn to Facebook. Most of the people who discuss politics and religion on Facebook are passionate and obnoxious fiends. I, like many others, quickly unsubscribe from most updates of those radicals. The last thing I want to do is force all of my friends to ignore anything I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment